Tuesday, September 1, 2026

FM dial scan highlights CCCXII

Today marks 12 years since I started this blog, and scanning the FM dial for compelling music is just as captivating to me as it was on September 1, 2014.  Here are five standout tunes I heard this morning:

WSIE 88.7 FM

  • Digits-Clark Terry (An effective doubling up of a sunny melody from Johnny Griffin on saxophone and Terry on trumpet.)
  • Bountiful-Kayla Waters (I'd play "Quiet Storm" by Ramsey Lewis before this because one pleasant jazz piano instrumental deserves another.)

KCLC 89.1 FM

  • Black Is Black-The Verbs (This respectable cover of the 1966 Los Bravos hit, which used to be a staple cut of oldies stations, approaches the lyrics from a female perspective.)
  • Get Down-They Might Be Giants (I never expected to hear this group's brand of cerebral rock detour into a '70s-style dance pastiche with horns, but it kind of works.)

KLOU 103.3 FM

  • I Can See Clearly Now-Jimmy Cliff (As comforting as Johnny Nash's original version is, the backbeat on Cliff's faithful rendition gives the tune a bit more rhythmic vigor.)