Today's standouts:
KEBF (Morro Bay, CA)
- Even The Sparrow-Kelly Hunt (An impressive blend of bluegrass and Classical influences in the instrumentation underscores these confidently emoted lyrics.)
KTRU (Houston, TX)
- Hello From Everywhere-The Drift (This is one instance in which a plodding rhythm isn't a bad thing. The harmonica gives this deliberately repetitive instrumental riff some spice. As I listened, I wondered what electronic effects The High Llamas might have added if they'd composed this.)
- Seoul-Amiina (A long, fanciful instrumental fit for an ambient music box.)
WCRI (Block Island, RI)
- Franz Schubert: Allegretto in C minor, D.915 (Alfred Brendel, piano) (Sorrowful and intense.)
WDCE (Richmond, VA)
- Last Train To London-ELO (Despite being ELO's best hit, in my opinion, this track barely grazed the charts in 1980. The memorable opening hook and siren caught my ears immediately, as did the sing-along chorus when I first heard it. Rhythmically, the tune is of its time in the best way, and yet, I've hardly ever heard it on the radio.)
WSGE (Dallas, NC)
- Maggie-Cassandra Coleman (Sometimes, friendships just fade with time, not because of anything someone did, but just because adulthood comes with a lot of time-sapping responsibilities.)
- Smokestack-Valerie June (Blistering blues-rock guitar and vocals.)
WZZJ (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Hittin' Twelve-Count Basie (This raucous big band arrangement could segue with Basie's "Jumpin' At The Woodside.")
- Whispering-Nino Tempo & April Stevens ("Deep Purple" is this duo's go-to track, in my opinion, but this follow-up tune has a similar feel.)