Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Online radio sampler highlights CCCVI

Standout tunes heard today on six radio stations that haven't been featured in Online radio sampler highlights posts before:

KALA (Davenport, IA)

  • Butterfly Lullaby-Swing Out Sister (A chill instrumental reprise of "Butterfly," which I'm surprised isn't a smooth jazz radio staple.  Its encouraging lyrics and vocal hook should have guaranteed that.)
  • Reaching Out-Kim Waters (This uptempo smooth jazz saxophone melody is fit for a brisk run--or possibly a stakeout.)

KNMC (Havre, MT)

  • I Want You Back-Hoodoo Gurus (I played a bit of this band on KCOU in the early '90s, but I wish I'd thought to play this 1984 melodic power pop track.  It's worth learning to play guitar so one can master this song.)

KSCU (Santa Clara, CA)

  • Quand Vas Tu Rentrer?-Melody's Echo Chamber (The vocals float compellingly over a hypnotic, festive-sounding keyboard hook.)

WJCT-HD4 (Jacksonville, FL)

  • Pick Yourself Up-Oscar Peterson (Wow...I thought the Carolbeth True Trio zipped through "The Way You Look Tonight" at a breakneck pace.  This, hands down, is the fastest version I've ever heard of this standard.  Peterson zooms through it adroitly on the piano.)
  • I've Got You Under My Skin-Charlie Parker Quintet (Parker carries the melody of this standard prominently on the saxophone.)

WSPJ (Syracuse, NY)

  • Caught In A Dream-Alice Cooper (I haven't listened to Alice Cooper's music that often, so I forget sometimes that it goes beyond "School's Out."  This is pretty accessible, actually, and fit for a road trip playlist.  Rhythmically, it could segue with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "What's Your Name?")

WTTH (Atlantic City, NJ)

  • Tell Me If You Still Care-The S.O.S. Band (This is how to stay on point when requesting a relationship status update.)
  • Sir Duke-Stevie Wonder (Whose day doesn't "Sir Duke" brighten, considering its appreciation for how music appeals to our common humanity?)