Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Shameful, shameless, or neither?

In Sunday's SiriusXM highlights post, I considered writing this entry--just for a moment:

Happy Oldies 

  • Play That Funky Music-Wild Cherry (Does this tune move me the way heartfelt lyrics about social justice do?  Is it thought-provoking and deeply contemplative?  If I could only hear one song for the rest of my life, would it be this one?  No, in all three cases.  For what it is, though, it's catchy--and that's all that's really required of it.)

I chose to leave it out.  This morning, however, I heard an AM talk station use KC & The Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes" as bumper music.  As I listened, I thought, "After hearing 'Boogie Shoes,' which I would never seek out, any shame I have about including 'Play That Funky Music' as a highlight has vanished."

So be it.  Not every song I recommend has to be cerebral.  Sometimes, an ear-catching hook is enough.