Friday, August 28, 2026

Online radio sampler highlights CCCIX

Friday morning standouts:

KMMS (Bozeman, MT)

  • Never Let You Go-Third Eye Blind (I appreciate the sing-along quality of the chorus more today than I did in 2000.  "Never Let You Go" was played frequently on the radio then, so I've come to like the tune more than when it was a hit.) 

KSBR (Mission Viejo, CA)

  • Here's Where The Story Ends-The Sundays (To me, this has always been one of the more comforting, introspective songs about less than great times.  Harriet Wheeler's vocals waft over the guitar line effectively.  Thirty-six years after its release, I still like this song and its album as much as I did originally.)
  • Cold April-Allison Russell (A heartwarming reminder to stay resilient during challenging times.)

WPKN (Bridgeport, CT)

  • Flying Home-Illinois Jacquet (I'm used to hearing Lionel Hampton play this familiar melody on the vibraphone, but Jacquet shows how well it swings on the saxophone.)

WSMC (Collegedale, TN)

  • Franz Schubert: Symphony No. 2 in B-flat major, D. 125: I. Largo-Allegro vivace (Dresden State Orchestra/Herbert Blomstedt, conductor) (This symphony's opening movement segues from a leisurely melody with trills suggesting birdsong into an invigorating steeplechase for strings.)