A '90s memory: I'd been asked to read a critic's review of a rock concert for our company's information-by-phone service. Ordinarily, I did voiceovers for events-around-town listings, business updates, and instructions for users on how to access various features. I'd never read a concert review for that service before. I read the review, I thought, with appropriate enthusiasm and gravity. It struck me as slightly odd, however, that the reviewer referred to the band's performance as "a Dionysian delight." I read it just as he'd phrased it while thinking, "That might be perfectly accurate, but Dionysian? Why not just say the performance was emotive, passionate, or refreshingly unstructured?"
"The artist's work is an amalgamation of gourds and seed pods," from an events-around-town promotion, was the most offbeat sentence I ever read while recording voiceovers. I never recorded a remotely comparable sentence during voiceover sessions again. Similarly, I never expected to refer to anything as Dionysian, and not surprisingly, that review was the only voiceover I recorded containing that word.