Friday, August 7, 2026

SiriusXM highlights CLXXVII

Standout songs heard today:

Acoustic Guitar Instrumentals

  • Renaca-Nicola Cipriani/Brad Myrick (A somewhat bittersweet midtempo melody.) 

The Big Easy

  • Right On-The Dirty Dozen Brass Band ("Use Your Brain" is my go-to track from this band, but this could be effective underscoring for a turbulent scene.)

The Coffee House

  • I Thought I Saw Your Face Today-She & Him (Lyrically and structurally, this sounds like a Carpenters song to me.)

North Americana

  • The Returner-Allison Russell (I don't always agree with the expression, "That which does not kill us makes stronger," but Russell's lyrics make a solid argument in its defense.)

Piano Instrumentals

  • Between Raindrops-Joshua Zimmerman ("After Hours" by Rickie Lee Jones could segue with this, as there's a compatible delicacy between both tracks.)

Real Jazz

  • Baby Elephant Walk-Ted Nash (It impresses me that this version of a distinctive Henry Mancini tune sounds like it might swerve into Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island" at any moment.)

The Village

  • Hymn For The Unholy (Live)-Emily Scott Robinson (A well-written, sincerely sung acknowledgment that much of life is uncertain and a certain resilience comes with surviving the curves it throws you.)

Watercolors Instrumental

  • Lifted-Phil Denny (A steady, easy-on-the-ears smooth jazz saxophone groove.  I would segue this with Freddie Ravel's "Sunny Side Up.")