About 12 years ago, I visited an independent bookstore. I found the quiet atmosphere welcoming, and the store's tasteful selection of reading material in a small space impressed me. As I stepped up to pay for my purchase, I saw the wide selection of music magazines offered near the register. I thought, "I really hope this store succeeds. With this selection and friendly service, it deserves to make it."
Then, reality crept into my thoughts. "Not many people buy magazines these days," I thought. "Most likely, only a small fraction of this inventory will sell. As much as I'd like to believe that hordes of customers will stop in and pick up the latest issues of magazines specializing in folk music, music critics' reviews of new releases, and various instruments, that probably won't happen."
The optimism that the music magazines represented reminded me of the unexpectedly large selection of greeting cards I saw at a small pharmacy that opened around the same time as the bookstore. I thought, "People still send greeting cards in some cases but not as often as they used to, and this won't likely be the first place where they'll select them. Most of these cards will probably remain unsold."
Unfortunately, the bookstore and the pharmacy are no longer in business.