Today's standouts:
KAFM (Grand Junction, CO)
- Dance Floor-The Apples In Stereo (I'm guessing that one or more band members intended to channel ELO here. Also recommended: "Tidal Wave.")
KCSM (San Mateo, CA)
- My Whole Life Through-The James Carter Organ Trio (A slow, relaxed melody with prominent saxophone over a backdrop of organ.)
- Dolphin's View-Alex Sipiagin (The piano underscores Sipiagin's trumpet playing compellingly, giving the tune some dark turbulence.)
WQED (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Felix Mendelssohn: Paulus (St. Paul), Op. 26, MWV A14: Overture (City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra/Edward Gardner, conductor) (I'd like to have played any of the stringed instruments on this recording so I could say I pulled off the piece's inherent tension and its ultimately heroic conclusion.)
WRUJ (Richmond, VT)
- I Know But I Don't Know-Blondie (This track has more of a freewheeling, punk rock vibe than the group's hits.)
- Burning Out-The Linda Lindas (As this June release conveys, we all have our going-through-the-motions days.)